200 feared dead in North Korea nuclear test site

Kim Jong Un inspects what North Korea claims to be a nuclear warhead. The photos were released the same day North Korea conducted its sixth nuclear test in September. (Reuters)

Tokyo—At least 200 persons feared dead in a tunnel cave in at North Korea’s nuclear test site, claims Japanese broadcaster TV Asahi on Tuesday.

The TV claims that the news was received from unnamed sources familiar with the situation. Pyongyang has already carried out sixth atomic test in September and US and his allies have been criticizing such tests by North Korea.

Whatever the situation is, no international media remain able to verify the news independently. It has been reported that about 100 workers at the Punggye-ri nuclear site were affected by the initial collapse, which took place around Sept. 10, the broadcaster said, Reuters reports citing the Japanese TV.

The second collapse took place during the rescue operation that means the death toll exceeded more than 200, the report said. Experts have said a series of tremors and landslides near the nuclear test base probably mean the country’s sixth and largest explosion on Sept. 3 has destabilized the area, and the Punggye-ri nuclear site may not be used for much longer to test nuclear weapons.

Sources in North Korea told the news channel that a tunnel being excavated by around 100 workers at the Punggye-ri test site collapsed earlier this month. An additional 100 labourers sent to rescue their colleagues were reportedly killed when the tunnel suffered a second collapse, telegraph.co.uk reports.

Published on: October 31, 2017 8:51 pm

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


Enter Captcha Here : *

Reload Image